Endangered right whales are getting the attention they deserve from a federal agency and now they want to hear from you!
The US National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) has opened the door for new regulations to help protect right whales, so now is the time to speak up and give right whales a voice.
You can help ensure that right whales receive appropriate new protections by emailing or writing a letter to ask NMFS to act on the following:
- Require all fixed gear to be marked in order to help managers understand where right whales need protections from accidental entanglements
- Create a protected area south of Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard, where right whales feed and socialize 12 months of the year
- Increase efforts to look and listen for right whales along the US east coast year round, so we can enact protections as appropriately as possible
- Update gear-marking regulations so that vertical buoy lines are not required, allowing fishers and whales to safely be in the same areas
- Support work toward remote buoy retrieval systems in order to decrease accidental entanglement risk and improve practices for fishers
You don’t need to be a lawyer, elected official, or a scientist to help right whales.
Simply engaging in this process by voicing your support creates real results for these whales.
To do this, email or write to Michael Pentony at NMFS by September 16th and tell him why asking NMFS to act on the points above.