Employment Opportunities (updated September 1, 2021):
Other than the position posted we have no job openings, but we see growth in our future! If you are interested in working at WDC, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and share why you'd like to work here and what you would be able to contribute to the organization. Be sure to attach your resume. You will not get a response, nor hear from us until we have a position that opens, but we will keep your information on file. By sending us your resume, you agree that we may contact you at the phone number and/or email address provided if a relevant position becomes available.
Full-time, salaried with benefits
Based in Plymouth, MA
Whale and Dolphin Conservation is seeking a Stranding Coordinator to develop and grow a new marine mammal stranding response program on the south shore of Massachusetts. The ideal applicant is detail-oriented, enjoys wearing multiple hats and problem solving, thrives in a high-energy role, and values their contribution as an integral part of our mission.
The Stranding Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate responses to live and dead marine mammal strandings within the response area (anticipated to be Plymouth, Kingston, Duxbury, and Marshfield)
- Ensure the program is legally compliant
- Manage and disseminate data
- Recruit and manage volunteers and interns
- Work with community and network partners
- Support the development and growth of the program.
They will also seek ways to grow and support our efforts to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion in the field of marine mammal science and conservation.
The role is based in our dog-friendly office in Plymouth, MA.
We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply as the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
- BS/BA or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of 2 years of previous marine mammal stranding response experience
- A valid Massachusetts driver’s license, or ability to acquire one
- Ability to walk on rough terrain (including during inclement weather), swim, and lift 50 pounds
- Must be fluent in English (speaking, writing, reading)
- Strong writing and verbal communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office products required
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Must comply with all organizational COVID-19 preventative measures
- Must be able to work nights and weekends
- Must be able to legally work in the United States
- Understanding of veterinary technology, photography, small boat handling, vehicle trailering, and database management is ideal
- Experience conducting necropsies and tissue sampling
- Proficient in Gulf of Maine marine mammal species identification
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications
Position start date is October 1st, 2021.
Benefit package options:
- 68% employer-paid health premiums
- Dental, and/or vision
- Retirement plan - Massachusetts Defined Contribution CORE Plan (CORE Plan)
- PTO that begins with 15 days, and 10 holidays
- Dog-friendly office
About the Organization: For 30 years, Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC) has been working across the globe in the marine conservation field. We are guided by a simple principle – whales play a critical role in the health of our marine and global ecosystems. For over a decade, WDC’s North American office has implemented programs specifically dedicated to the protection of endangered species, including the North Atlantic right whale and Southern Resident orca. Visit whales.org to learn more.
This Company Describes Its Culture as collaborative, team-oriented, very driven, and dog friendly. The Whale & Dolphin Conservation embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
This Job Is: Perfect for someone who has a passion for marine conservation and science and will work hard to support a growing office toward its goal of a world where every whale and dolphin is safe and free.
Make a difference
Join our team - no matter which way you choose, your commitment helps whales, dolphins, and our shared planet.
Save the whales, save the world.
Adopt a whale and help us protect these amazing creatures.
You can join our team and help us save whales and dolphins
Your gifts help us take action for whales and dolphins.
Support WDC by shopping for yourself or a friend.