Amazon announced on January 19th, 2023 that it is ending its AmazonSmile donation program by February 20th. The program allowed Amazon customers to make donations while shopping online. 0.5% of each qualifying purchase was donated to the charity of their choosing with WDC being one of the charities available. In a statement, Amazon said "with so many eligible organizations...our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin."
We strongly disagree. Thanks to the kindness of Amazon shoppers who chose WDC as their charity of choice, we have received $10,168.15 in donations as of November 2022. These funds directly impacted WDC’s work.
- $5.00 provides our Marine Animal Rescue and Response team with necessary PPE to prevent disease transmission to and from marine animals we rescue.
- $20.00 spreads our campaigns to protect endangered whales to more than 100,000 people world-wide.
- $50.00 allows us to teach people how to safely observe whales while out on the water.
- $100.00 enables us to bring whales into classrooms of over 800 students who have never seen the ocean. We bring a life-sized inflatable North Atlantic right whale, to give people the chance to see a whale and learn about the incredible role whales and dolphins play in keeping our ocean healthy.
We are disappointed that Amazon does not believe these impacts are significant. While they may not be to Amazon, it has been incredibly significant to WDC and the whales and dolphins we give a voice to.
Do you want to make a significant impact?
- Donate directly to WDC's programs to protect whales and dolphins. 100% of your tax-deductible donation will go directly to our work.
- Speak up on social. Tweet or tag Amazon (@amazon) on social media to tell them how disappointed you are that they are ending AmazonSmile and share how much of an impact you made to WDC by shopping through AmazonSmile.
Throughout it all, we are so grateful to everyone who chose to donate to WDC through this program. Know that the choice to support us did have an impact and our work will continue regardless to create safe and healthy homes for whales and dolphins worldwide.